Justice Grace’s statement, London SCJ
Notice from Justice Grace [March 17, 2020]
In the ever changing landscape we find ourselves in, and in an attempt to reduce the crushing load borne by the Trial Coordinator and Assistant Trial Coordinator, Justice Grace has requested that we circulate the following information to our membership.
We would ask that all law firms circulate the information contained in this e-mail to all of the members involved in civil proceedings of any kind.
Please note that this e-mail does not apply to matters in the Small Claims Court. Those involved in proceedings in that court should carefully review the separate notice regarding the suspension of Small Claims Court Sittings that was posted on the website of the S.C.J. earlier today.
This email is with respect to some matters affecting civil proceedings arising from the Notice to the Profession, the Public and the Media regarding Civil and Family Proceedings dated March 15, 2020 (the “Notice”).
All participants in the legal profession should fully familiarize themselves with the Notice, other communications from the court, the procedural rules and applicable practice directions before seeking guidance. The trial coordination unit simply does not and will not have the time to provide information that is readily available from those sources.
There are questions concerning the resumption of the court’s operations. We cannot be certain when that will occur. Criminal matters in the SCJ are being adjourned to dates in early June 2020 as set forth in an omnibus order signed by Chief Justice Geoffrey Morawetz on March 15, 2020. Justice Grace proposes that civil matters currently scheduled in the S.C.J. be adjourned to dates in that month as well. After consultation with the trial coordination unit in London, these are the proposed dates:
- Civil Motions/Special Appointments
- Those returnable in March will be adjourned until the June 5, 2020 motions court @ 930 a.m. TBST
- Those returnable in April will be adjourned until the June 12, 2020 motions court @ 930 a.m. TBST
- Those returnable in May will be adjourned until the June 19, 2020 motions@ 930 a.m. TBST
- Civil Pre-Trials
- Pre-trials scheduled during March, April and May 2020 that are not held will be adjourned until the June 19, 2020 civil assignment court @ 9 a.m. TBST. I recognize we may have to vacate and re-set trial dates during that attendance too.
- Civil Trials (jury and non-jury)
- Those on the running lists for March and April and not reached will be adjourned to the June 19, 2020 civil assignment court @ 9 a.m. TBST.
- Those on the running lists for May will be adjourned to the July 17, 2020 civil assignment court @ 9 a.m. TBST
- Matters on the March, April and May Civil Assignment Court lists
- Those on the March civil A/C list will be traversed to the June 19, 2020 civil assignment court list @ 9 a.m. TBST
- Those on the April civil A/C list will be traversed to the July 17, 2020 civil assignment court list @ 9 a.m. TBST
- Those on the May civil A/C list will be traversed to the same July 17, 2020 civil assignment court list @ 9 a.m. TBST.
- Divisional Court matters on the list in London for the week of March 30, 2020
- Those matters will not proceed as currently scheduled. Once further direction is received, we will send out an email.
The civil bench and bar meeting on March 26, 2020 at 430 p.m. as planned but by teleconference. The number will be provided later this week.